What makes us happy?
This question has been the subject of debate since the Ancient Greeks and now there is a scientific study of happiness which is providing answers. We have the evidence as to what does and doesn’t make a difference to our wellbeing. Authentic Happiness by Prof Martin Seligman is the book that put positive psychology on the map.
- Hedonic wellbeing is the more familiar happiness which is about feeling good and experiencing pleasure and enjoyment.
- Eudaimonic wellbeing is the deeper kind of happiness which comes from having meaning and purpose in life and realising your potential.
And there are three pathways to authentic happiness – pleasure, meaning and engagement:
- The Pleasant Life is the experience of pleasure, enjoyment and positive emotions.
- The Engaged Life is about having experiences of flow (‘in the zone’) and using your strengths.
- The Meaningful Life is about serving a purpose that goes beyond the self.
The formula for Authentic Happiness in a nutshell is the good feelings you get from engaging your strengths in the service of something that is meaningful for you.
This uplifting workshop will introduce you to the scientifically-grounded tools that raise the bar on your happiness, generate positive emotions, that help you discover how you are at your best and think in more positive, optimistic ways. Miriam is one of 100 worldwide experts who contributed to the World Book of Happiness.